Why does no one ever tell you how brilliant ageing can be?



Why does no one ever tell you how brilliant ageing can be?


In later life, you know what sparks joy: loving new things, discarding old things. It’s finally time to live as you want to live, not as you’re told you should.

It started with a tweet. I wondered why people like the Edinburgh fringe so much, when it sounds like my idea of hell: loads of “theatre” (with capital-letter ACTING); audience interaction; comedians; circus-type things.

Edinburgh itself is gorgeous, so am I just a misery guts? That is a rhetorical question, obviously. The answers came thick and fast. I would love the fringe, apparently, if only I got taken to the right shows. Then I could go to 10 in one day! But I know myself. One artwork a day is quite enough, ta.

Then, of course, came the inevitable low blow.

I was told my attitude is a sign of ageing, because I don’t want to trek up to Scotland, where the best joke this year, apparently, is a zinger about cauliflower florets. Jesus. I want my money back and I didn’t even go.

Fittingly, a new report, Ageist Britain, tells us the bleedin’ obvious: that society is ageist and life after 50 is assumed to be awful, as we are all bitter hags or old farts. Or, in my case, both.

A lot of rubbish is talked about getting older. Nora Ephron is the go-to person for women with crepey necks. Me? I prefer Ursula K Le Guin: “I am not ‘in’ this body. I am this body. Waist or no waist.” That is a life lesson I would like every girl to learn. Le Guin also said: “Erase my age, you erase my life – me.”

But Google the signs of ageing and the results will be about skincare, diet and exercise. Fundamentally and depressingly, not the actual point.

Some of us will die of diseases that are genetic. Some will look better than we did when we were young. Most of us do just fine. Wear a bikini. Don’t wear a bikini. Really, I do think there are bigger things to think about (and I don’t mean a forgiving one-piece).

If you want Carol Vorderman’s arse and Lana Del Rey’s lips and Kim Kardashian’s waist, I can’t help you. If you think a knee lift will change your life, well, good luck. If you think you can stay for ever young, I have some breaking news.

But no one talks about the good bits of ageing, so I will. The menopause. A time of anxiety and then freedom, when women move from being someone who can reproduce to someone who can’t. Everything changes physically and mentally. It is a premonition of death and one becomes a different kind of being altogether: a creature who can only reproduce itself.

Ageing is also a process of editing. You know those people you didn’t like much? Well, don’t bother with them. If someone has said “we must do lunch” for 20 years and you haven’t, you are not going to now, just as you are not going to wear that little black dress you were wearing when you got off with X.

There is no need to go the full Marie Kondo, but you are old enough to know what does not spark joy. Do you want to go to a restaurant where every ingredient has been cooked five clever ways? No. Do you want to sit in bars where the music is so loud that everyone is shouting? No again. Do you still want to go and see loud music? For sure. My God, the Necks was the most fabulous gig I have been to this year.

As for parties, well, as Iman said wisely when David Bowie was wooing her: “He has been to all the parties there are.” Nothing makes you feel older than drinking cheap white wine and making small talk with people who ask you about schools and property. Trust me.

Getting old means relief at being cancelled – not in the social media sense, but in the “let’s not bother meeting for lunch” sense. It means loving new things and discarding old things. It means living as you want to live, not as you should.

Apart from chronic disease, of course, the worst thing about ageing is having to wear stupid glasses. I don't wear mine anymore, my vision has improved, it was just a crutch. While driving I use Navigation mode on my smartphone so I know 1/4 mile down the road I need to turn. But there is the wonder, too, as that Blur song says, of the way the days “seem to fall through you / Well, just let them go.” or "'Those were the days my friend,' I thought they'd never end"...

Time is a man made construct. Time is for wasting. Time is what you make of it. You choose.

The best sign of ageing, though, is that you are still you – only more so.


I Am A Seenager (Senior Teenager)

I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.

I don’t have to go to school or work.

I get an an allowance every month.

I have my own pad.

I don’t have a curfew.

I have a driving licence and my own car.

I have ID that gets me into bars and off-licences. I like the off-licences best.

The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant. They aren’t scared of anything. They have been blessed to live this long, so why be scared?

And I don’t have acne.

Life is Good!


Also you will feel much more intelligent after reading this, if you are a Seenager.

Brains of older people are slow because they know so much more. People do not decline mentally with age. It just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains and have bigger brains. Scientists believe this also makes you hard of hearing as it puts pressure on your inner ear, even though your ears are bigger.

Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full, so, too, do humans take longer to access information when their brains are full. Researchers say this slowing down process is not the same as cognitive decline. The human brain works slower in old age, said Dr Michael El Ramscar, but only because we have stored more information over time. The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more. Some can remember incidents back to when they were 3 or younger I can remember sharing a crib with a girl. I saw her the other day at a party she ran up to me and jumped on me a wrapped her legs around me and kissed me. My wife wanted to know who was she, I said, "She's my sister." Whereupon she retorted, "yeah right, I didn't know you had a sister?"

Also, older people often go to another room to get something and when they get there, they stand there wondering what they came for. Those are know as Senior Moments.

It is NOT a memory problem. It is nature’s way of making older people do more exercise.

SO THERE!

I have more friends I should pass this to, but right now I can’t remember their names. So, please, forward this to your friends. They may be my friends, too!

 

Since you’re here…

… we have a small favour to ask, of you love. More people are reading and supporting The independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can do...

Support us from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you!


PayPal.me/johnsilva/1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suicide Forest

737 MAX 8: Airplane A 50 Year Old Design Flaw Maybe The Culprit And What's Haunting Boeing

Paraíso Perdido - Paradise Lost